Hanging anything on the wall can be a stressful process. If you put something in the wrong spot, you are then left with a gaping screw or nail hole to remind you of your mistake. Mounting a TV may come with added stressors as you want to secure it to prevent falling and breaking. Luckily, every SANUS mount comes with a template to help guarantee that you are putting holes in the right spot. The first step is to find the wall studs.
Finding studs is easy to do if you have the right tools and know the distance between the studs in your wall. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to find wall studs, making the TV mounting process safe and easy.
Tools You Will Need
There are only a few tools needed to do find studs, the most important one being a stud finder. This tool helps you find the stud since you can't feel or see the stud behind the wall. You'll also need a pencil to mark where the center and edge of the stud are in the wall.
Things To Consider
Most homes today have studs that are either 16 or 24 inches apart. You'll want to take that into consideration when finding studs. Depending on the type of project you're doing, you'll want to know how many studs you'll need to find. When marking the studs, think about how high on the wall you want to mount. Both these are important things to consider when finding which studs you'll be using.
Step By Step Process
- Hold your stud finder up to the wall
- Make sure you have a stud finder that finds both the edge of the stud and the center. (This will be important when mounting a TV to make sure it is as sturdy as can be.)
- Make a mark with your pencil when you have found the edge and the center of the stud
- Keep going about 16 inches or 24 inches depending on where the next stud is
- Repeat the process until all studs that are needed for the project are marked
And that's how to find studs in your wall to mount your television. Pretty Easy! Need help with the other steps for mounting your TV? Check out this video on How to Mount Your TV in 3 Easy Steps!